Lesotho entry requirements
Important Note: This is a guide only – please check with your nearest Lesotho embassy for up to date information.
All visitors are required to carry a passport that is valid for six months beyond the intended length of stay.
Visas are required except by citizens of countries which have visa abolition agreements with Lesotho and citizens of some Commonwealth countries. Nationals of all other countries require a visa, for which requirements are: a completed application form, a passport photograph, itinerary, proof of sufficient funds and proof of onward travel or return ticket. Please contact your nearest Lesotho Embassy for further information.
Please see Lesotho Embassy section for contact information.
Customary entry regulation
All goods brought into Lesotho are subject to Customs control and baggage may be subject to examination. Customs declarations are required upon arrival. Visitors from Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, and Swaziland are not permitted to bring liquor into Lesotho.
The following items and quantities to a total value not exceeding M 500.00 per person are allowed under rebate duty:
- 2 litres of wine per person, 1 litre spirits or other alcoholic beverages
- 200 cigarettes, and 20 cigars
- 250 gm pipe tobacco
- 50 ml perfume
Any excess is charged import duty at a flat rate of 20%.
Prohibited and restricted goods
- Counterfeit coins or notes; dangerous weapons, including swords, cutlasses, bayonets, daggers, knives with cutting edges of 30 cm or more in length (excluding such knives as are ordinarily used for domestic purposes, agriculture or the meat trade); blasphemous material; indecent or obscene works or articles of an inflammatory nature such as certain pamphlets or posters.
- Customs Officers and members of the Police Force give highest priority to drug detection and the legal penalties for drug trafficking are severe.
- Domestic pets, livestock, seeds, bulbs, plants and trees may not be imported without payment of Customs and Sales Duty and are subject to quarantine restrictions.
- Permits may be obtained from: The Principal Secretary - Ministry of Agriculture & Food Security.
Civil and commercial services
Shops open hours
Monday to Friday 08h00 to 18h00
Monday to Friday 08h00 to 12h45 - 14h00 to 16h30
The post offices are available in all towns within the country and are open Monday to Friday, 08h00 – 16h30, Saturday from 08h00 – 12h00.
Lesotho travel tips
Lesotho is a very safe destination, and you will find the people warm, welcoming and friendly. Crime occurs in some of the bigger towns, but it's not a rampant problem. Hitchhiking, although never recommended, seems not to involve much risk in Lesotho.
Many of the remote villages have crystal-clear springs which are fine to drink. Most towns have bottled or purified water.
What to buy in Lesotho
Lesotho is famous for the distinctive straw Basotho hat with a twirly topknot. Other straw crafts are also available.You can find clay pots and woven wool wall hangings in main towns. The Basotho blankets are traditionally made from pure wool and the designs have historical significance. Although they are lovely and warm, blankets sold to tourists are not always made of pure wool.
What to pack for Lesotho
Casual, comfortable, wash-and-wear clothing is most useful in Lesotho, though evening-wear is required for the upmarket hotels. All hotels offer extremely quick laundry turnaround, usually within a couple of hours.
It is certainly not necessary to bring a separate change of clothing for each day and evening, and it is recommended that you keep luggage to a minimum for your own comfort and ease of transport, especially if you are using light aircraft transfers.
For Lesotho, these are the most practical items to pack:
- Shorts and cotton t-shirts
- Smart casual outfits
- Swimming costume
- Good comfortable walking shoes
- Casual lightweight cotton, wide-brimmed hat, khaki or neutral coloured clothes for safari
- Fleece or sweater and a warm jacket for cool evenings
- Personal toiletries, sun barrier creams, sunglasses, camera and accessories